Behavioural Eye Tests check more than just Eyesight
Easy to Find
Nothing worse than being rushed. At EyeBiz we believe in doing things the right way. When it comes to your eyes we treat them like they are our own. We take the time to make sure we do the best job we can.
Time To Test Properly
EyeBiz is located in Carrara just next to the Carrara Markets in the Woolworths Shopping Center (54 Manchester Rd Carrara Qld 4211). Easy parking right outside. Undercover parking just a short escalator ride away.
This Month's local Shopper Saver is:
Headaches or gets Tired easily?
Poor Concentration in Class?
85% of all Learning is Vision based.
Seeing Requires the Eyes to Work as a Team.
Children think the way they see is the way everyone sees.
- 85% of learning is done visually.
- Vision Australia estimates that 60% of children identified as ‘problem learners’ are challenged by ‘poor vision.’
- Children who have perfect 20 / 20 distance vision may still have learning-related vision problems.
- Behavioural Testing looks at eye coordination as well.
Visual Demand has Changed since 1995:
- Our children are growing up with Mobile devices.
- Children as young as 3 are often seen using a mobile phone or an iPad. Computers are found in every school.
- Australian Children spend an average of 4-6 hours watching a screen (TV / Computer / Tablet / Smart Phone).
- Eyes need to See & work as a Team.
- For some children aligning their eyes is a problem. For other children holding focus is an issue. Both groups will often pass a standard eye test.
- Since the year 2000 many more children have become Myopic (short-sightedness) than ever before in human history.
Explaining Behavoural Tests & Binocular Vision.
1. Behavioural Optometrists:
- Look at the child’s entire visual system to make sure they can See and that your child’s eyes work properly as a Team.
- Spectacles may be prescribed to improve eye sight or correct a co-ordination (Team-Work) problem.
- Myopic Control Spectacle Lenses & Contact Lenses are now used to help slow the rate of Myopia (short sightedness) in children & adults.
2. EyeBiz Bulk Bills All Tests
- Many parents ask us what it is a Behavioural Optometrist will do and how much the extra testing costs? We Bulk Bill all of our testing including behavioural tests.’
- The tests don’t hurt so you don’t need to worry if your child has ADHD.
- We look at whether your child can see properly and then if his or her eyes work well together as a team.
- Sometimes spectacles are required. Sometimes eye exercises are required. And other children need a combination of the two.
As every parent knows each child is unique. There is no ‘perfect-solution’ that works for all children. Which is why it is so important for your child to have more than just a ‘Seeing’ eye test.
Fixing Binocular vision problems is just as important for children as making certain they can see well.
3. Fact versus Fiction.
Are Devices Harming your Child’s Eyes?
- The truth is we don’t know?
- Mobile devices have only been widely available since 2005.
- Children as young as 6 months of age are now regularly looking at devices.
- Many Australian Classrooms are now called: “Device Only Classes.”
- We don’t exactly what all this close work and the ‘Blue Light’ emitted by devices will do to children’s eyes?
What we do know is human eyes aren’t used to all this close work. We can see that since 2005, & the widespread use of Smart Phones, there has been a massive world wide increase in the number of children with Myopia.
The message to all parents needs to be: “Please take a safety-first approach.” Experts recommend that children, under the age of 14 should restrict their use of devices, outside of school, to 20 minutes a day. They also recommend 90 – 120 of sun-safe outdoor playtime every day.